March 23, 2009

Rebel, Rebel

So I finally saw Milk, and it was effing fantastic. Lots of people say that this is one of Gus Van Sant's more classical movies, directing-wise. Having only seen Good Will Hunting among Van Sant's other movies (and Good Will Hunting is supposed to be another classical movie of Van Sant's), I cannot really compare Milk with the rest of his work. I found Milk to be not that classical, though. What striked me particularly was how short some of the scenes were. But hey, I don't know a thing about directing, so... 

This movie is infintely quotable, and Harvey Milk is portrayed as a very warm person. Emile Hirsch's performance is really compelling. Also, there are a lot of "wtf?" moments. As in, "Wtf? Is that really how bigots think? Their arguments make no sense whatsoever!" Those kind of moments.

And now, I'll get cheesy: one of the aspects I liked the most about this movie was its love story. It simply tells you that the people who once mattered in your life will always matter. And I found that beautiful... that's all.

No comments:

Post a Comment