February 02, 2015

Nur Ein Wort

This past weekend F and I went to Montreal because my sister's German boyfriend was in town. My parents took all of us out to Bouillon Bilk. The restaurant was bigger than the last time I was there, but I found the decoration to be pretty sparse. However, there was recently a flood there, so that could be an explanation. It was very noisy, just like most of the more recent Montreal restaurants.

I started off with a gin and tonic made with a tea-flavored tonic. F had a cocktail made with a whisky I like a lot, Té Bheag. He found both cocktails to be kind of strong, but I was okay with them. 

We then had oysters. The waiter had announced that the restaurant had a few different kinds available, including the Trésor du Lac from Quebec I had been wanting to try. We asked for a mixed platter. However, they didn't include the Trésor du Lac in it. The ones I had were a bit too salty for my taste. 

We also had a small pre-appetizer which was beef tataki. It was fine, but it was served in a ridiculously large plate.

For my appetizer, I ordered sweetbreads with veal tongue. It was my first time having sweetbreads. I was a bit disappointed to find out that they were fried. Had I known that, perhaps I would have ordered something else. They tasted like chicken, and the veal tongue tasted like ham.

I had sea bass for my entrée. They left the skin and made it crunchy, which I appreciated. However, the portion was a bit small.

F and I then shared a platter of Quebec cheese. It came with very good nut bread. There were also candied nuts, but they were a bit too sticky.

I enjoyed my evening, but I found the restaurant to be a bit overrated. Usually, when I find a restaurant to be very good, it is often because of one stellar course and the others pull it off with a few understandable kinks. However, at Bouillon Bilk, every course had a few lacking details. I wouldn't mind going back, but if I were asked an opinion, it wouldn't be my first restaurant choice.


No comments:

Post a Comment