January 21, 2015

The Way You Look Tonight

Yet another old movie. Love with the Proper Stranger, with Natalie Wood and Steve McQueen. I had been curious to know what Natalie Wood looked like, because Lorelai Gilmore gets compared to her at one point. Well, Natalie Wood is so beautiful, she literally made me look twice at the screen the first time I saw her. She's got incredible eyes. I think she looks more like Amy Acker than Lauren Graham, though. Steve McQueen is supposed to be the prince of cool or something. Physically, he is not really my type, but he does have some attitude. The movie is about Natalie Wood getting pregnant with Steve McQueen out of wedlock. It gives us a look at Italian inmigrants in New York and at how difficult it must have been to get an abortion in the 60s. We also see gow chaotic Macy's seems to be in that time. I've never been to the one in New York, but as I recall, Macy's is kind of on the down low. The music of the movie is pretty wonderful: I found it really old-timey. Natalie Wood has a crazy breakdown just when she is about to get the abortion. It also gets pretty dramatic in one scene where Natalie Wood invites Steve McQueen to dinner. Just before that scene, there is a weird moment where Natalie Wood tries to cover her cleavage. The end of the movie is pretty cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment