January 01, 2015

Ashes to Ashes

It has been a bit more than four years since I wrote my last blog post. I won't be going to school for this winter semester, and so I have decided to start blogging again. As my old readers know (if there are any of them left), the subjects I used to cover were books, CDs, movies, TV shows, and restaurants/bars. Since my last blog post, I have had less and less time to read books, my music listening goes in phases (there are phases where I am listening to a lot of new music, and phases where I am listening to anything much), Netflix has become a fixture in my life, and I have moved to Quebec City where I try to convince my boyfriend F to try out new restaurants with me. I will continue to cover the same subjects, although the proportions in which they are covered in my blog might vary from their previous proportions.

For my first blog post of 2015, I have decided to talk about the movies I have watched in 2014. I used to feel guilty about watching so many movies, as I could be doing better things with my time, but I watched "Mad Men"'s second season over again this year and when some woman asks Don Draper what he likes in life, he answers "Movies". So now I don't feel guilty about matching so many movies, because it is something I truly love to do (yes, Don Draper has that much influence on me). Here are the movies I watched this year that have left a strong impression on me. Some were seen in theaters, others not. They are listed in the order in which I watched them:

Edge of Tomorrow: A good action/sci-fi movie, with just enough romance. I still love Tom Cruise, even though everybody hates him.

Starship Troopers: F made me watch this cult movie. I wasn't expecting much, but I liked it a lot. A lot of meaning can be given to this movie, but I enjoyed it as a simple action movie... my bad.

Boyhood: I was born a bit earlier than the protagonist, but this movie still made me incredibly nostalgic. The soundtrack is perfect: for every year depicted, the one hit of the year was chosen. I laughed out loud alone when "Soulja Boy" came on. We can also see the evolution of technology, which is pretty interesting.

Lars and the Real Girl: This movie made me long for a community.

La Vie d'Adèle: Chapitres 1 et 2: Probably overhyped, but the reunion scene made me cry, it looked so real.

Mommy: Our own Quebec genius' last movie. His directing didn't make me cringe anymore, and I was genuinely troubled at the end of the movie. The only movie of his that I haven't watched yet is Tom à la ferme. He really gets better with each movie. He's like Sangoku in that way (I am reading all of the Dragonball series currently. It was my Christmas gift from F. So romantic, haha. I will probably be doing a blog post on that subject when I am done).

Superbad: A great comedy.

On the Road: I am probably losing all credibility as a girl who likes books here. At least, the movie made me want to get back to reading Beats books. It is a very classical movie, nothing earth-shattering. Diarios de Motocicleta by the same director is one of my favorite movies. I also like Garrett Hedlund a lot, mainly because of TRON: Legacy.

Gone Girl: I am including this movie because it was one of the hyped movies of the year, but I mainly enjoyed it as a thriller, nothing more, really. The movie is pretty pessimistic about couples.

Zoolander: Another great comedy.

Interstellar: This movie had me watching with mouth agape and made me want to watch it again immediately with subtitles to better understand the parts where they talk about physics. I liked it better than Inception. Some people say that the love theory in the movie is ridiculous, but it perfectly appeals to sentimental girls like me.

Dazed and Confused: At first, I was thinking "Ok, yet another early Richard Linklater movie with a lack of structure". However, the movie got better as it went on and at the end, I was completely charmed by Linklater's portrayal of youth. This is the third movie of his to make it into my pretty exclusive list of favorite movies (mainly movies I could watch over and over again), along with Before Sunset and The School of Rock.

The Rock: Another cult movie F made me watch, another time where I didn't have much expectations. In the end, a very enjoyable thriller, with Nicolas Cage making you wonder whether he is a good actor or a completely ridiculous one.

Laurence Anyways: The third movie by Quebec genius Xavier Dolan. I didn't like the first part much, the directing was really hectic, but I guess that matched one of the characters' state of mind. It is a very long movie, but it didn't make me cringe as much as his two first movies, and it made me even more convinced of the importance of subventions for culture. We need subventions, so that movies like these can be made, so that people can feel less alone. Namely, the movie makes you realize that when some of the most important relationships in your life go awry, you are not the only person to whom this happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment