April 04, 2009

Running To Stand Still

I have finally bought the War Child compilation. When I first heard of the concept, I thought it was very cool: an artist from the old generation chooses one song he believes is the most important amongst all of his songs, and then chooses an artist from the new generation to interpret it. Perhaps this concept was more or less applied severely, but if it was, some pretty cool things appear: for example, Leonard Cohen's favorite song of his would be "Take This Waltz", and I love that song too! And so we discover Bob Dylan likes Beck, The Clash like Lily Allen, The Ramones like Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Blondie likes Franz Ferdinand, and Iggy Pop likes Peaches. Yeah Yeah Yeahs' song is pretty cool, and Elbow's version of "Running To Stand Still" is tears-worthy. I also discovered an Elvis Costello song I didn't know, and The Like's rendition is pretty catchy. 

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love this album. My fave songs are The Kinks "Victoria," by The Kooks and Hot Chip's cover of Joy Division's "Transmission"

    ReplyDelete