February 17, 2009

Natalie Portman

Doesn't it sometimes seem to you like we live in an era where everybody likes Natalie Portman? I swear, every hipster (yes, I'm categorizing) wants to do Natalie Portman. Seriously, what the heck is up with that? There's a group called Natalie Portman's Shaved Head, for God's sake. (They're okay. Some non-descript dancy act.)

There's been a trend with these little independent movies making it to awards ceremonies. Slumdog Millionaire, JunoLittle Miss Sunshine, Sideways, Garden State. I haven't watched Slumdog Millionaire yet. By the time Juno came out, I was already sick of this particular trend. Little Miss Sunshine seemed okay, but I never got through it. Sideways was incredibly painful. Anglophone wine snobs doing French word-dropping is a no-no. And finally, Garden State, with the ever so present Natalie Portman. The classic hipster movie. I didn't like it that much. I can think of two funny moments. One is when they are running like madmen to avoid a rocket or something. The second one is when we realize that Zach Braff's character can't swim.

To finish up, here's a gushy moment for you: Milo Ventimiglia is now single!! NOW I can marry him. No problem.

2 comments:

  1. little movie becoming successful is not a "trend" it doesn't happen enough and it should happen more. Also why don't you actually listen to NPSH they are more then just a "non-descript dancy act".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I can understand the fascination with Natalie Portman, she is good actress who managed to graduate from Harvard while getting nominated for a oscar, she seems to be fluent at more than 2 languages, not to mention she's quite good-looking....(I'm suspicious, she can't be as perfect as she appears to be)

    but something tells me that it isn't the reason behind this trend about her, we all know that smarts and assertiveness aren't associated with cool...I think it's because of the pretend-artsy-critical movies she's into...

    Whatever most of those "hipsters" don't even know the real stories behind those movies.

    Garden State= 1 idea being streched for 1h42.
    But the soundtrack was great and I think that the first one Zack wrote so he did well

    ReplyDelete