February 13, 2009

I am in love with Henry James

I have an optional class in American literature, which is a field completely opposite to the one I am studying in. I have given up trying to explain to my fellow students why I took this class. I really love it, that's all, and it is the class I am having the least difficulty with. For the course, I am currently reading Henry James' Washington Square, and I love it. It is funny because in this class I got to read The Scarlet Letter, which I had wanted to read for a while, and later I will be reading Death of a Salesman, which is in my to-read list. I had a Henry James on this list, Daisy Miller, and when I first learnt that we would be reading a different Henry James, I was a bit disappointed. I was thinking: "Man, I could have gotten so much stuff out of my to-read list!" However, I now think I would have been contented with any Henry James. Washington Square itself is not particularly captivating, until now; however, Henry James is such a fine writer, and I find him really funny. It's subtle humor, but I love it. It is as if he writes about these really boring characters and makes fun of them with us. I have not had the class on Henry James yet and so I cannot tell you anything else in particular about him, but anyway... he rocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment