May 28, 2009

Les Yeux Au Ciel

The first time I saw Les Chansons d'Amour I liked the music, but I hated the story. The fact that I first watched it on a sucky TV probably contributed to my initial dismissal of the movie. However, rewatching it was quite delightful. The music was as beautiful as the first time, and I paid more attention to the story, which lead me to appreciate it more. 

Les Chansons d'Amour can be translated as "Love Songs". It is a foreign movie, and it is a musical. This might send some people running for their lives, but they would perhaps be missing out on a nice experience. I like the style of this movie very much. If I were more familiar with old French movies, I could perhaps liken Les Chansons d'Amour to one of them. One of the things I like the most about Les Chansons d'Amour, however, is probably that it is first and foremost a way for me to revisit my beloved Paris, a city that holds a very dear place in my heart. 

This movie deals with how people react to the death of a loved one. Throughout the movie, many memorable musical moments can be enjoyed. The music is very simple, but it does not lack modernity. In fact, some of the more tragic moments remind me of Placebo, in all their Frenchness and anger. One of my favorite scenes is a duet between Louis Garrel and Clotilde Hesme (who I find very pretty and whose French accent is simply hilarious :P), where they are very intimate but never actually kiss, for they are too busy singing. Another great moment would be the musical duel that takes place between two of the main protagonists. One revels in amorous flings, and the other claims that such a lack of commitment can be tiresome. If you are interested in France at all, you should get your hands on this movie. :)

1 comment:

  1. i saw it!!!
    and as u said...it's just great!!!
    franch movies always has that magic to put uniquness in a movie...

    ReplyDelete