August 09, 2009

Wonderful Night

Books I read while I was on my trip:

Between the Bridge and the River by Craig Ferguson: Craig Ferguson is easily my favorite famous person. In my opinion, he is way more than a late-night talk-show host: he is a genuinely smart, decent, and knowledgeable person, and he has exactly the sense of humor I am looking for. Perhaps because I like him so much, I am biased, but I sincerely loved his book. It is a novel with four main characters, and it talks about everything from love and religion to Hollywood. It is a bit confusing at first, but it is worth it. It is a hilarious book and an interesting thought pops out every two lines.

White Teeth by Zadie Smith: This book was really hyped up in 2000. I couldn't get past the first part (there are about six parts to this book). It is not that funny nor that interesting. The book is about the lives of some individuals in London, some of them being foreigners.

A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers: A very contemporary non-fiction book. There were loads of instructions on how to read the book at the beginning of the book. Unfortunately, towards the beginning, the author tells us those instructions are unnecessary. I decided to listen to him. Therefore, I did not understand much of the book. Perhaps I am just not smart enough. The books tells us how the author had to take care of his brother after both their parents died from cancer, while attempting to create a magazine at the same time.


No comments:

Post a Comment