June 13, 2009

Instant Karma! (We All Shine On)

My friend had seen an ad for an aperitivo Italy-style taking place in a lounge in Old Montreal. It started at 5, so while we were waiting for it we went to see the free "Imagine" exhibition at the Museum of Fine Arts. "Imagine" is Yoko Ono's project. A lot has been said already on this exhibition on other friends's blogs: the tiny "Yes" written up high, the all-white chess games... The exhibition was OK. I liked the fact that we had to go through heavy black curtains before entering a room, so that the next room in our wandering remained a surprise. The first rooms I found to be a bit small, so I felt a bit claustrophobic. Plus, there were still a lot of people at the exhibition, even though it has been in Montreal for some time now, so that didn't help. My favorite room was the one with the numerous TVs all showing John Lennon chanting "Give Peace a Chance" and the multiple exclamation points in the backgroung. I also liked hearing "Imagine" as I entered an entirely white room. It remains a very powerful song. I believe that, after all, it is John Lennon's music that stays with me the most, even before his philanthropy. I'll say one last thing: it is a lot more complicated to play with an entirely white chess game than it sounds.

Afterwards, we went to the aperitivo. However, it was nothing like in Rome, where all you had to do was buy one drink and you had access to an all-you-can-eat buffet. We got very little food. Waiters came by offering us small apetizers, but the quantity was very unsatisfying. However, I had a very interesting drink. It is called a clear sangria: fizzy wine, peach schnapps, white cranberry juice, and fresh blueberries and raspberries. It was funny because we clearly were out of place at that lounge. We were dressed way too casually, for starters. The crowd mainly comprised of businessmen in suits. I'm not sure I even understand what a businessman is. Also, they all seemed to know each other, which was kind of weird. Anyway, we had a fun time.

No comments:

Post a Comment